Know Your Village - Mapperley Lodges
Taken from the Parish Magazine August 2006
Two Lodges were built in 1857 on Shipley Lane, each bearing the Miller Mundy crest. Gates were placed across the road ensuring that only authorised traffic could enter the Shipley estate. These were kept locked at all times with a key located at each house. Village children would ask owners of passing vehicles for 1d to collect the key.
Once the lodges were completed this part of the Lane was known as Lodge Road as it is still known today.
The gates were removed in 1941 as part of the war effort when railings, gates and other artefacts were collected for scrap.
Mapperley Lodges and Gates.
Two lodge houses for Shipley Hall Estate were built in Mapperley Village in 1857 on Shipley Lane. Each bearing Miller Mundy crest which can be seen today.
Once the lodges were completed this lane was renamed Lodge Road.
Gates were placed across the road ensuring that only authorised traffic could enter the Shipley estate. These were kept locked at all times with a key placed at each lodge house.
Village children would ask owners of passing vehicles for 1 penny to collect a key.
Once the lodges were completed this Lane was renamed Lodge Road, as it is still known today.
The gates were removed in 1941 as part of the war effort.
When railings, gates and other metal artifacts were collected for scrap to help the war effort.
Unfortunately, this was a government con because most of the scrap was actually discarded at sea.
Some of the original railings can still be seen on Irongates Lodge which is the one on the left going towards Shipley
Conveyance of Iron Gates Lodge, known then as Mapperley Lodge. Sold to Miss Mary Ann Beer, spinster of No 1 Mapperley village on 31st March 1937 for the sum of £150.00.
Sold by Mapperley Colliery Company Limited whose registered office was at 39 London Road, Leicester.
When Roger and I purchased Iron Gates Lodge in 1968 we paid £1700 and a further £1700 was spent on refurbishment work.
A lot of money then!
The Hovel (Soot Shed 1920)
This building was originally a dwelling. Known in the village as the Hovel.
It was situated in a field near the old Windmill.
After the building know as the hovel (a small ,dirty dismal dwelling) became empty it fell into complete disrepair, remaining empty for many years. Later the gardens belonging to the property were turned into the village allotments.
They are still used today as allotments.
The local chimney sweep stored all his soot in the property keeping it dry during the summer months. At the end of the growing season the soot was used by the gardeners, spreading it over the soil before winter digging the ground leaving the land ready for the next growing season
The Derby Mercury reports on September 19th 1877
On Sunday the roof of the Hovel belonging to Mr Francis Hallam, situated in a field near the Wind Mill. This was much damaged by youths throwing stones through it.
A reward of £2 has been offered by Mr. Hallam for any information of the guilty parties.