An Extract From The Domesday Book For Mapperley (Maperlie)
The Domesday Book was commissioned in December 1085 by William the Conqueror, who invaded England in 1066. The first draft was completed in August 1086 and contained records for 13,418 settlements in the English counties south of the rivers Ribble and Tees (the border with Scotland at the time).
The original Domesday Book has survived over 900 years of English history and is currently housed in a specially made chest at The National Archives in Kew, London.
THIS IS AN EXTRACT FROM THE DOMESDAY BOOK FOR MAPPERLEY, DERBYSHIRE
In MAPPERLEY Stapolwine had 4 bovates of land to the geld. [There is] land [..]. William Peverel has charge [of it] for the king. It is waste. There is half an acre of meadow, [and] woodland pasture 4 furlongs long and 4 broad. TRE it was worth 16s. In the same place is half a carucate of land of [this] SOKE, belonging to Henry's manor of Spondon. In TIBSHELF Ligulf had 3 carucates of land to the geld. [There is] land for 3 ploughs. William Peverel has charge [of it] for the king. There is now half a plough in demesne; and 9 villans have 2 ploughs. There is 1 acre of meadow, [and] woodland pasture 1 league long and 1 broad. TRE worth 40s; now 10s. Robert holds it. In WESTON-ON-TRENT with its Berewicks Earl Ælfgar had 10 carucates of land and 2½ bovates to the geld. [There is] land for as many ploughs. There are now 3 ploughs in demesne; and 24 villans and 6 bordars having...
Bovate bovata An eighth of a carucate. Used in Domesday like carucate for tax
Geld; Tax Geldum Periodic tax, first raised for the Danish wars, at a number of pence per hide, carucate or sulung
TRE tempora regis Eduardis In the time of King Edward the Confessor; by
Carucate carucata, carrucata Measurement of land in Danish counties, the equivalent of a hide. Used in Domesday for tax purposes
Hide hida120 acres, although this could vary, and sometimes was apparently
The Royal Charter
Simon of Arderne
Royal Charter, 750th Aniversary
Simon of Arderne
A moated Manor House was owned by Simon of Arderne.
Simon received a Royal Charter by Henry lll in 1267. Allowing him, as Lord of the Manor to hold an annual fair to be held at the festival of the Holy Trinity. This is older than the Ilkeston fair. Also the Charter allowed him to hold a weekly market every Monday. (Trinity Sunday falls in May or June. Eight weeks after Easter Day. The earliest possible date being May 17th. The latest possible date June 20th).
Simon was also granted Free Warren on all his manor lands.
Free Warren granted by Royal Licence gave him the sole right to hunt the Beasts of his Lands. Hare, Rabbit, Badger, Fox, Polecat, Pine Martin and Pheasant.
Lords of the Manor at this time were privileged with keeping the peace. This granted the Lord to place criminals in stocks, on the pillory and also use the gallows. Simon had all of these built in his Park Hall Grounds.
The neigbouring village of West Hallam had their Gallows erected at the crossroads opposite what is now Millhouse Garage, beside Park Hall Lane. Simon objected to this location.
His solution was to hang his criminals on the West Hallam gallows. On occasion he would have both gallows in use at the same time.
Replica stocks were built to represent this deed for the 700th Anniversary of the Charter, and placed opposite the church gates.
An attack on his Manorial rights came two years later in 1269. Ralph Cromwell (Lord of the Manor of West Hallam) carried this out. He organised a group of men to ransack the Hall and threw down, and carried away Simon’s Gallows, stocks and Pillory which Simon had erected under his interpretation of the Royal Charter.
Although the road leading from West Hallam crossroads to the Park Hall Hamlet is today officially sign posted Park Hall Lane to all the locals it is referred to has Simon Lane. The fields to the west of the farm leading to Smalley are also still identified on all ordnance survey maps as “Simonfields”.
Today the farm is owned by the Morgan family.
Taken from 'Bulmer's History & Directory of Derbyshire 1895.
Mapperley is a small Parish and Township, containing 981 acres, in the hundred of Appletree, electoral division of Sandiacre, petty sessional division of Smalley, union and county court district of Belper and Deanery of Ilkeston. It is under the jurisdiction of a parish council of six members, and it elects one guardian and rural district councillor. The total extent of land under assessment is 940 acres, ratable value £3,234, and the population in 1891, was 531. A M Mundy, Esq, is lord of the manor; and that gentleman, F A Newdigate, Esq, and W D N Drury-Lowe, Esq, are the principal landowners.
In the reign of Edward the Confessor, the manor of Maperlie belonged to one Staplevine, but William the Norman ousted the English owner and took possession of his lands. At the time of the Domesday Survey (circa 1086), William Peverel held the manor for the King, and in 1235 it was in like manner held by Richard Sandiacre by the service of providing a dog kennel.
In 1266 a weekly market on Mondays, and a fair at the festival of the Holy Trinity, were granted to Simon de Arden, in which he was succeeded by Thomas de Luche. Subsequently the manor passed by marriage to the Willoughbys; and it afterwards belonged to the Gilberts of Locko. The Strelleys had a mansion and an estate here; and as early as the middle of the 13th century, episcopal sanction was given to Hugh de Strelley and Matilda, his wife, to establish a chapel within the grounds of their mansion at Mapperley. The permission to attend mass here was confined exclusively to the family and household of Hugh and Matilda, and neither could any marriage service be performed therein. A few traces of this old chapel may be seen built into the wall of a house near the church.
The village, which is small and chiefly inhabited by colliers, is situated two miles North West from Ilkeston, and 7 ½ miles North East from Derby. A chapel-of-ease, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, was erected here in 1851, at a cost of £750. It is a plain building in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, porch and turret containing five bells. In 1870, Mapperley was separated from Kirk Hallam and formed into an ecclesiastical parish. There are 200 sittings and all are free. The living is a vicarage worth £130, with residence, in the gift of F A Newdigate, Esq, and held by the Rev John Mello MA. In connection with the church is a good day school attended by about 130 children. The Wesleyan Methodists have a chapel in the village, built in 1874, to accommodate 150.
Park Hall is a small hamlet a little North West of the village. Here was the mansion of the Strelleys, but not a vestige of the building now remains.
Mapperley is one of the parishes entitled to benefit in the Free School of West Hallam founded by the Rev John Scargill.
Letters, via Derby, arrive at 6.30am, and are despatched at 7.30pm, week days only; Mrs Keziah Hart, sub-postmistress. Postal Orders issued but not cashed.
Rural District Councillor –