Sourced from Parish Magazine C1938 and Provided by Elaine Sarson
Church Restoration Extensive restoration work took place at St. Wilfrid's Church West Hallam Derbyshire in 1854/55. Although the work was much appreciated by the congregation, it was decided that once the final sum had been paid to the builders the church should then purchase a new organ to complement the new facilities, replacing the old harmonium.
Money for the restoration work had been raised by voluntary contributions and it was agreed to continue collecting money for the organ project.
After the restoration work a church re-opening service was held on St. Mark's Day Wednesday 25th April 1855.
Replacing the Harmonium
By February 1858 it was reported in the Nottinghamshire Guardian that:
"It has been in contemplation for some time to replace an organ in the Parish Church at West Hallam and now we understand one is ordered, and will shortly be placed in this beautiful little edifice".
It was installed in the church and officially opened on Easter Tuesday 1858. A Full Choral Morning Service was performed with a sermon preached by the Reverend J. R. Errington, Vicar of Ashbourne. The collection after the morning and evening services was in aid of the expenses incurred in purchasing the organ. Refreshments were provided between the services in the Girl's School Room at 1 shilling each.
A more detailed account of the evening service was reported in the Derby Mercury April 14th 1858.
The parishioners of West Hallam have added almost the finishing strokes towards the completion of their beautiful Parish church. Completed by the purchase and erection of a very excellent toned organ, which has been built, under the superintendence of Mr John James Matthews, of Cotes Hall, near Stone, Staffordshire. Working for the company of Messrs. James Kirtland and Frederick Jardine, of Manchester. This fine instrument does great credit to these gentlemen. The price is £110, with the sum being raised by voluntary contributions. The service was attended by the church choir (which is an entirely voluntary one), consisting of twelve boys and eight men, led by their choir master, (Mr J. Carson), and organist (Mr William Poyser of Derby). Following the service a collection was taken, this amounted to the handsome sum of Seventeen Guineas.
Dissatisfaction With the Replacement
Although this instrument was an improvement on the old harmonium, after a few years it was decided to purchase a more superior instrument that would justify the restored sacred building.
The order for this was placed with Lloyd & Dudgeon distinguished pipe organ builders of 52A Union Road, Nottingham, by December 1862.
In the hope that the new organ could be installed by 1864, to celebrate the 200th Anniversary of the opening of the first Scargill village school.
Installing the New St. Wilfrid's Organ and the 200th Anniversary Service
The new organ was delivered and installed at St. Wilfrid's during September 1864.
A choral service was held on Tuesday 11th October 1864, performed in the morning to a full congregation, many having to stand throughout the proceedings.
Prayers were preached by the Rector, Reverend C. J. Newdigate. The Curate of Mapperley Reverend J. Wood read the lessons, the sermon preached by the Reverend F. Rowbottom, a former pupil of the school. His reading was taken from St. John's Gospel 4th Chapter, 38th verse:
"I have sent you to reap a harvest in a field where you did not work; others worked there, and you profit from their work".
The responsibility of playing the new instrument was given to Alfred Pitt, the church organist, choirmaster and headmaster of the Boys School (School Square), with the opening and closing voluntaries performed by Mr. F. Myers, organist of St. Paul's Church, Nottingham.
The collection at the morning service raised £13, money placed in the organ fund.
Newspaper Report Derby Mercury October 19th 1864
After the Service at one o' clock about 50 ladies and Gentlemen sat down to dinner in the Girls School room. (Built 1852 now the Village Hall). Under the Presidency of the Rectory. After the health of the Queen had been given, the "Senior Scholar of the School", Mr Potter of Wymeswold, Author of numerous works was proposed. Mr. Potter replied in an able speech and proposed the health of the preacher the Reverend C. J. Newdigate.
At half past three the scholars were rewarded with an afternoon tea party followed with a magic lantern show.
The day's attractive programme had the effect of assembling together a number of local Gentry and well-to-do farmers of the neighbourhood and their families. Bringing the village to a scene of great excitement as on the occasion of the opening of the newly restored church 9 years ago.
Funding the New Organ
The days collection of £13 was added to the £100 previously subscribed. Plus the sale of the old organ which raised £50. The total cost was approximately £160.
The New St. Wilfrid's Church Organ Technical Details
Builder : Lloyd and Dudgeon 52A Union Road, Nottingham.
Derby Mercury - Wednesday 19 October 1864
OPENING OF A MEMORIAL ORGAN AT WEST HALLAM
This bustling little village was the scene of a pleasing commemoration festival on Tuesday, that day being the 200th anniversary of the commencement of the endowed school. The event was celebrated by the opening of a memorial organ, the performance of full choral service in the morning, a public dinner at one o'clock, and a scholars' tea party in the evening, with magic lantern exhibition afterwards.
Such an attractive programme naturally had the effect of assembling together a goodly number of the gentry and well-to-do farmers of the neighbourhood, with their families, and the 'village’ was a scene of greater excitement, if possible, than on the occasion of the opening of the new church, some half- -dozen years back. The picturesque little edifice was crowded, and many were unable to find either sitting or standing room. The prayers were intoned by the rector, Rev. C. J. Newdigate. The Rev. J. Wood, curate of Mapperley,read the lessons; and the sermon was preached by the Rev. P. Rowbottom, formerly a pupil in the school, from the 4th chapter of St. John's Gospel, 38th verse. The choral service was very efficiently performed, the organ accompaniment being played by Mr. Pitt.
The opening and closing voluntaries were executed in great taste by Mr. F. Myers, organist of St. Paul's church, Nottingham. The collection in aid of the organ fund amounted to upwards of 13L.
As nearly 100L. had been previously subscribed, a very small deficiency was left, 50L. having been realised by the sale of the old organ, and 12L. by sale of photographs. The organ cost about 160L., and was built by Messrs. Lloyd and Dudgeon, of Nottingham, who have executed their work in a way that has given entire satisfaction, and which will not detract from their well-earned reputation. There are two manuals and a pedal organ of the usual C scale, the former extending upwards to G in alt, the latter (Bourdon) down wards to C C C. In the great organ are the following stops: -Open diap, stopt dlap bass; claribella, keraulophon principal, flute, clarionet, fifteenth, and trumpet. The swell organ contains double diap, open diap, stopt, principal, Ffteenth, and oboe.
After service about 50 ladies and gentlemen sat down to dinner in the Girls' School-room, under the presidency of the Rector. After the health of the Queen had been given, the `Senior Scholar of the School," Mr. Potter, of Wymeswold, author of numerous works, was proposed. Mr. Potter replied in an able speech, and proposed the health of the preacher of the day. At half-past three o'clock the children of the school partook of tea and buns.
Evolution of the '£' symbol
Note: This sign is simply a capital letter L, written in an old-fashioned handwriting style and with one or two crossbars to show that it is being used as a symbol or abbreviation. The L stands for the Latin word libra, the name of a Roman unit of weight, which also gave rise to the abbreviation lb for a pound as a measure of weight, and to the French word livre.
Quality of the Organs
The quality of their work can be judged with the company also being commissioned at this time by Sidney Pierrepont, 3rd Earl Manvers of Holme Pierrepont. To construct and exhibit a 2 manual pedal organ at the Birmingham (Trades), and later the Nottingham (Industrial) Exhibitions held in 1865. This instrument won a Gold Medal award for its workmanship and tone at Birmingham. After the exhibitions this organ was installed in St. Edmund's church, Holme Pierrepont, Nottinghamshire. (Opening service April 6th 1866).
Known Lloyd and Dudgeon Organs (Compiled R. Wood)
For 3 New Churches in Nottingham
All Saints (1864)
Exhibitions (Several Organs on display)
Birmingham (Trade Workmens) Exhibition August 28th 1865
Hyson Green Nottingham (1865)
Alfred Dudgeon Died 6th February 1874
Until 1952 the West Hallam organ was pumped by hand later fitted with an electric pump.
Replaced in 1980 with a Norwich Electric Organ.
A Brass Plaque measuring 14” x 9” gives a description of the installation of the organ. This can be found in the North side of the Chancel in St. Wilfrid’s, placed on the wall near the present organ and reads:
Nottinghamshire Guardian May 4th 1854.
Derby Mercury April 11th 1855.
Derby Mercury April 18th 1855.
Derby Mercury May 2nd 1855.
Nottinghamshire Guardian February 11th 1858.
Derby Mercury March 24th 1858.
Nottinghamshire Guardian April 1st 1858.
Derbyshire Advertiser and Journal April 9th 1858.
Derby Mercury April 14th 1858.
Nottinghamshire Guardian September 9th 1858.
Derby Mercury October 19th 1864.
Nottinghamshire Guardian October 21st 1864.
Nottinghamshire Guardian February 13th 1874.
The Music Standard No. 55 Volume III (London) Saturday October 8th 1864 (Published Fortnightly).
History of Ilkeston (Together with Shipley, Kirk Hallam, West Hallam, Dale Abbey, and Cossall) by Edwin Trueman (1880). Page 107.
Thanks also for notes provided by:
Mr. R. Thompson and the late Mr. L. Wood.
R. Wood 14-02-2012